Mel joined NDA in 2021, bringing extensive experience in strategies that enable companies to achieve success by integrating commercial and patient access requirements at earlier phases of drug development. He generates impact for companies by helping them to understand and meet expectations of HTAs and Payers, and address value opportunities from early TPP optimisation through to product launch and reimbursement. He has worked in a broad range of therapeutic areas and led numerous engagements with HTA and Payer agencies, both alone, and in parallel to regulatory scientific advice.
Key Areas Of Expertise
- Extensive experience in integrating early commercial and access requirements during clinical development to improve product value and commercial success.
- Deep knowledge of European Payer and HTA systems and of strategies that optimize value proposition, pricing, reimbursement, patient access and product uptake.
- Strategic HTA capabilities from TPP development to post-authorisation phase.
- Direct experience in payer engagement as the driving force behind multiple early advice processes and for one of the first pilots of European HTA collaboration.
- Senior roles in two of the top ten Pharma companies, with experience at UK, European and Global level; including roles in in both commercial and R&D functions.
- Ten years as a healthcare executive and five years in broader commercial roles covering corporate and pipeline strategy, business development, and digital health.
- Invited chair for international conferences on Market Access, HTA, & Digital Health.
Before Joining The NDA Advisory Board
Mel held senior leadership roles at Roche, GSK and Otsuka, during a successful 20-year industry career, before establishing BioPharma Futures and joining NDA as an advisor. He was an active member on global R&D, BD, digital health and corporate strategy boards and led teams in market access, pricing, health economics and outcomes research, public affairs, BD, pipeline strategy, digital health and product launch.
Mel co-founded the HTA Regulatory interactions SIG for the International Society for HTA, was an early member of the Green Park Collaborative Life Sciences Advisory Group, and is a current member of the TOPRA Advisory Council. He has co-authored over 30 research papers and abstracts, 2 book chapters, and regularly chairs international conferences. He has a Pharmacy degree and a PhD in Patient Reported Outcomes.
Dr Mel Walker